Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Tube amps - new or vintage

  1. #1
    Inactive Member jack6428's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2004
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi again,

    I am looking into upgrading my system.

    I have Altec "VOT's", a GAS Ampzilla amp (100 wt / channel), and a 10 yr old Denon preamp. The amp and preamp are solid state.

    I want to move into tubes.

    If I had to pick and upgrade, should I do the amp or preamp first?

    Should I buy old vintage or new?

    Any recommended brands / models?

    Jack

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Jack,

    I prefer the sound of tubes myself. I would suggest going for the power amp first as this will *probably* yield the most obvious differences. There are many choices. Check out the various tube forums on Audio Asylum:

    Audio Asylum

    I did a full restoration and Curcio rebuild on a Dynaco ST-70 that I'm pleased with:

    ST-70 Restoration

    Here's more information about that:

    Curcio Audio

    Much of the Altec equipment was designed when tubes were the only game in town and they work very well together.

    Have fun!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You could do both in the same step with something like an Eico HF-81. It's regarded as one of the finer vintage amps, and since it doesn't usually cost too much (~$300) it's a nice place to start. Because it's integrated you get the full tube treatment rather than wondering which you're hearing.

    Dave

  4. #4
    Inactive Member rosypup's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 7th, 2004
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I can make a suggestion regarding amps. I need to learn from everyone regarding altecs.

    If you don't need alot of power, then I would try sets. I have quite a number of vintage amps like the eico hf81 and the st70, but I haven't played them in a while. And I've been through more modern tube stuff and even otl. They do sound good, but sets can be another world.

    It's only if you can go with low power.

    But like the speakers, there's alot to know about sets.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Mirrophonic Sound System's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2003
    Posts
    144
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've run tri-amp set-ups using S.E.T.s to drive compression mids & Highs directly.
    (from the output transformer that is)

    The tubes were 6V6s running in triode mode (screen connected to plate with 100 ohm 5W resistor)-
    only yields a few watts but more than enough for driving a compression driver without
    the losses of a passive crossover - and a very open and low-fatigue sound !

    You can build these very cheaply yourself (why pay big bucks for those overpriced
    commercial units).

    When designing your own S.E.T. amps, use a tube manual to find the bias value for class-A
    mode with your favorite tubes.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just to add my opinion of tube v's solid state.
    I like the way tubes smooth out the high freq's & add a slight compression, but I also like the way mosfet power stays tight in the bass while still retaining some warmth in the mid-bass.
    That is why I choose to bi-amp.
    You don't need much tube power to drive the high freq. horns, actually the vott system is ultra efficient so really 20 watts for the highs & 60 watts for the bass is plenty.
    I crossover at 500 hz with a 12db octave slope & am very happy with the results!

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Two points. 1. John, after playing everything on the 300B/26/6sn7, I'd never go back to SS for mids and highs. I still like SS for bass. 2. I want to start looking at Tripath technology (digital) like the sonic. For the price (30.00 for a 15wpc amp from target) you could tri amp for under 100.00!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.